HINICIO is proud to have completed the study “Trajectory for a great ambition in hydrogen” for France Hydrogen, where we had the opportunity to analyse the hydrogen potential in France towards 2030. This document offers a simplified picture of the actual state of the market and the very wide range of client needs and potential supply arrangements. This study is based upon a sectoral and geographical analysis of hydrogen demand and a large-scale model of the supply chain necessitating the application of a number of simplifying assumptions (typical use cases, averaging etc.). Key takeaways include a mapping of regional hydrogen infrastructures and mobility ecosystems, analysis of financing mechanisms, market potential for electrolysis and impact of new European regulations on hydrogen market uptake in France.
In summary :
- A new hydrogen goal to reach between 680 and 1000 kT in 2030 for the industry, mobility and energy sectors, i.e. between 6.5 and 10 GW of equivalent electrolysers.
- A concentration of H2 consumption needs (85% of demand) around industrial centres, ports, airports and metropolises, constituting 7 consumption basins.
- 15% of diffuse demand for mobility and industry remains essential for the development of demonstrators and the full coverage of the national territory.
- A major impact of RED2/3 focused on the need for renewable H2 for transport and industry.
- The need for “gigafactories” to satisfy the French national market and to position better the country for exporting hydrogen in the future.
- The need to define a national or European strategy in order to secure the supply of critical subcomponents.